Sunday, January 6, 2013

Installing Windows XP on top of a Linux OS?

Q. How do I install Windows XP on a machine already running on Linux OS? I want to have both installed and be able to select which one to run when the computer boots. Is it possible to perform a partial partition so I can install XP?

A. How to dual boot Linux and Windows XP (Linux installed first)
http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_linux_and_windows_xp_linux_installed_first.htm

For this to avoid issues with GRUB I thoroughly recommend Linux Mint 7 Main Edition which is built upon Ubuntu 9.04 Its easy to install and easy to use plus it comes with much of the software you are likely to need preinstalled

Linux Mint 7 Download
http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=38

The Perfect Desktop - Linux Mint 7 (Gloria)
http://www.howtoforge.com/the-perfect-desktop-linux-mint-7-gloria

Linux Mint 7 Gloria User Guide
http://www.scribd.com/doc/15884753/Linux-Mint-7-Gloria-User-Guide

You download the ISO. image of Linux Mint 7 then you need to create a Bootable LiveCD for installation

Linux Mint 7 can also be run direct from the LiveCD from Booting up without touching your Hard Drive


LUg.

What distros of Linux do top-notch software firms use to develop software?
Q. Knowledgeable answers only please. Thanks.

A. Many of them have some version of UNIX rather than Linux. It's also not uncommon to see BSDs. With Linux, you'll find things like Red Hat, Debian, etc. in use.

in you option, what would be the top 10 best linux distros?
Q. what would be, the top ten distros, that are easy to use, and stable

also, what would you say is better, Debian,Ubuntu or Linuxmint?

A. "Easy to use" and "stable" are extremely subjective terms. That being said, I'll give ten distros that the average new-to-Linux user shouldn't have *too much* trouble running.

In no particular order, and not necessarily my own favorites:

Linux Mint
Zorin OS
Pinguy OS
Ubuntu (includes the whole 'buntu family)
openSUSE
Debian Stable
PCLinuxOS
MEPIS
Pardus
Mandriva




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment