Sunday, January 6, 2013

How can I mount a Linux network share in Windows?

Q. I can find information about mounting Windows network shares in Linux, but not the other way around.

A. If you are able to put a samba share in media then you can run the comand,
net use x: \\media
This will make x: to be the samba mount directory.

Alternatively you can use explore2fs or virtual volumes.

How to mount windows partitions in linux?
Q. I have intalled windows XP(NTFS) and Redhat in my PC. How can I mount the windows partitions in linux?

A. in terminal

mount -t ntfs <partition> <mountpoint>

What happens if you mount a Windows disk drive in Ubuntu Linux?
Q. Are there any repercussions? Will the drive continue to run fine in Windows 7 if it is mounted and used in Ubuntu? I have multiple disk drives in my computer and want to know what might happen before I use an existing Windows drive for extra storage.

A. You can mount it fine without consequence, however you'll need to use ntfs3g to mount it if you want to write. Ubuntu's not capable of writing to NTFS drives without a special tool: ntfs3g. It should be in the universe package, installed using

sudo apt-get install ntfs3g




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment