Sunday, January 6, 2013

How to install a downloaded software [ like browser etc. ] into Red Hat Enterprise Linux?

Q. I have downloaded some software like a browser & anti-virus but unable to install those in my PC where Red Hat Enterprise Linux is installed. Please help me and tell me how to do that.

A. First, try looking in the package manager for those programs. That way, they download and install automatically.
Second, try looking on this forum:
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/
Third, I don't know if this will help, but it might be useful some day:
http://www.thelinuxrevolution.net/Topics/Commands/How-to-install-a-linux-program-from-tar-gz.shtml

What is the maximum amount of memory Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 supports?
Q. I've searched the red hat website and all I could find is that RHEL 5 supports up to 2 CPUs. I'm trying to find out what is the maximum amount of memory RHEL 5 can support. Please list any websites where I can get more information about linux hardware.

Thank you,

A. RHEL 5 supports unlimited memory! If you are running it as a desktop with Multi OS then its only 4Gigs. Cool ain't it.
http://www.redhat.com/rhel/compare/

And by that same chart.. it will support up to 8 CPU sockets!
If you have 8 sockets and quad core,, then it will indeed support 32 CPU's!

And for hardware check these
http://www.linuxhardware.org/
http://www.linux.com/feature/118497
http://www.linux.org/hardware/

How many hours can linux red hat work without stopping"rebooting" and why?
Q. I want to have a server running all the time and I don't know what hardware and software is the best since there are many

A. Linux can run 24/7 if that is what you need it to do and without crashing. Even if it did, you just boot back up and your running again. One reason is many programs are not an .exe or .com type of file and don't need dos to function. Linux will normally set itself up to what hardware your computer has no matter what computer you install it on, because it works at hardware level, not software level.

I might add that Linux you can get it just for server purposes, just for firewall and security purposes or simply a computer desktop operating system. Something you can't exactly get windows to do. Windows has to be everything.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment