Sunday, January 6, 2013

How to download Redhat Linux Enterprise Desktop free?

Q. Please tell me how to and from where to download Redhat Linux Enterprise Desktop for free. As it is an open source software, the source code has to be available. I heard they are giving the rpm packages of the source. If yes, how do I download it and how do I compile it? What's the difference if I purchase Redhat or compile it from source? Help PLzzz.

A. Unlike most Linux distros. Red Hat itself does not come free of charge
http://www.redhat.com/products/enterprise-linux/

However CentOS and Fedora which come from the Red Hat stable are
http://www.centos.org/
http://fedoraproject.org/


LUg.

What is the most current version of redhat and best link to download it from?
Q. I am getting hired at a job where they want me to brush up on linux (I studied it in college). They will be using advanced server, but I just want to know the best version to download.. Fedora, redhat.. and which version.. the ftp sites are confusing to me..

A. If you plan to go into server management, you would probably be using RHEL. Though, that is not a free operating system. However, because of the terms set in the GPL, RedHat is compelled to give out the sources used to build the system. This allowed a clone called CentOS to appear - it is simply RHEL compiled from scratch and distributed for free by a third party.

Go check it out at:
http://www.centos.org

You want to download CentOS 5 from any mirror. Simply download the ISO and burn it to a CD as an image.

Fedora is aimed more at the desktop market. And, other distributions such Ubuntu, Debian, and Slackware are not as common.

Also, you might want to take a look at FreeBSD, which powers many servers these days, although it is not Linux (but it is a *NIX).

where can I download yum based video player for Redhat Linux 5?
Q. Hi folks,
I wanna download a free video cum audio player for RedHat Linux version 5. So, pls help me pals...let me know the link that I gotta go with.

A. Not sure if redhat can get it but, have you tried VLC player?
Or banshee is your looking for a Media library




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment